The Design Engineer provides leadership of complex projects through research, analysis, creation of new drawings and Bills of Materials (BOMs). This position will require decision-making that is primarily job-centered that may require close collaboration with others involved in the process. At any given time, the Senior Design Engineer will have to manage multiple projects and be a resource for other associates in the department in the absence of the Engineering Supervisor. The Design Engineer will report directly to the Engineering Manager in the New Lisbon, WI office.
• Creates and manages new custom design features to satisfy customer order requirements
• Perform ASME calculations to specific design qualifications.
• Perform HVAC calculations to specific design qualifications.
• Interacts with outside vendors and internal purchasing agents to ensure that purchased materials meet customer specifications and “fit and finish” expectations
• Identifies, documents and implements internal department quality and process improvements
• Reviews engineering documentation, including pilot run support, with production representatives
• Responds to product fabrication and assembly issues relating to design, process or material quality
• Suggests changes to standard designs based on custom design needs and market trends
• Analyzes standard and custom designs for design and manufacturability optimization
• Identifies possible material substitutions for production or purchasing
• Verifies and seeks approval for design deviations in production from development and structural engineering group
• Takes the lead inside the group for cost savings projects relative to design, material or process
• Assists CAD technicians with documentation standards
• Acts as primary back-up representative/meeting delegate for engineering supervisor
• Actively participates in training and mentoring of newer departmental associates
• Has the ability to use Inventor 3D modeling and 2D AutoCAD
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
• At times traveling is required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, Technology or related field
• Previous engineering/manufacturing experience preferred
• Familiarity with several problem-solving models
• Knowledge of electrical circuitry
• Knowledge or training in air circuits
• Experience in Inventor
• Experience with Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel